However, the National Association of Home Builders' 2016 Housing Preferences Across Generations report indicates there are certain features of a home that make it more appealing to buyers - and may result in multiple offers when the home is listed for sale. Eighty percent or more of buyers indicate a desire to have these seven features in the home they choose to buy.
Take an assessment of your home to see how many of these features you have to offer - or if it might be worthwhile making a few modifications, if you can, before trying to sell -
1. Laundry Room - top of the list of most-wanted home feature by 92% of buyers
2. Exterior Lighting - Not only is exterior lighting a safety feature for your home, light shining on the lawn or front entry can greatly enhance the curb appeal and grab attention of any evening drive-by buyers.
3. Energy Efficiency - home features that help buyers save money are attractive, such as Energy Star windows and appliances.
4. Backyard Patio - help buyers envision enjoying the outdoors with family and friends by providing addition living space on the patio surrounded by a well manicured lawn and garden.
5. Hardwood Floors - hardwood floors can last a lifetime with occasional refinishing. Plus they are easier to maintain and clean, saving buyers time in their home maintenance.
6. Garage Storage Space - Accessible storage space is essential for buyers with growing families and for buyers in the process of downsizing their home but still have a lot of items they would like to keep.
7. Eat-in Kitchen - Often the space for casual family meals, where children can do homework or crafts while parents prepare meals, and nice space to just sit with a morning cup of coffee and the paper.