What needs to be done to create great curb appeal? Here are some easy, inexpensive fixes that will help create that outside appeal and get you one step closer to a sale.
- Check the condition of the roof - de-moss it if needed, fix any missing shingles, clean the gutters.
- Make sure windows trim is painted and well maintained, and that windows are clean.
- Repair cracks in the sidewalk and driveway - particularly if there are any tripping hazards getting to the front door. Have a professional fill and repair any large cracks so the buyer can feel comfortable driving their car on it safely.
- Fix faulty handrails - make it safe for buyers to grasp handrails to assist them up steps to the front door.
- Improve lighting for the address number - be sure it can easily been read from the street. Also, change any dated, outside light fixtures to give the exterior an updated look.
- Add lighting to your front walkway or along the driveway.
- Get a new doormat.
- Consider painting the home - or at least the trim and shutters.
- Paint or clean the garage doors. If the garage door is metal or dented, it may need to be replaced.
- Paint the front door an attractive color - especially paint the door if it shows any weathering.
- Put planters on either side of the front door.
- Move visible storage, recycling boxes or other containers into the garage or behind a fence.
- Throw in some attractive landscaping and the house - Mow and edge the lawn, trim plantings away from the house, fill in bare dirt under large shade trees - anything that will spruce up the front yard.
Remember, many home buyers drive by homes for sale before deciding to schedule a showing. Many cannot visualize even these simple changes and clean-ups in a house - so if the front facade isn't appealing, that buyer may move on to the next home. To sell the house quickly at top dollar - enhancing your home's curb appeal will get the right buyer inside the door!